Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Digital Storytelling and Learning

Well, my husband and I are about to leave for super rural Michigan where internet it few and far between so I'll do my homework now. :-) Yesterday was our second anniversary so we stayed at a hotel in downtown Grand Rapids and this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Starbucks in the hotel actually had free wi-fi! So here I sit doing my homework while my husband is out wandering the city - oh the life of a grad student :-) haha. But I have to admit I have really enjoyed how much I have learned thus far in this course and this morning have a slight desire to start planning and getting stuff together to use next year! My desire to go on vacation is overriding this a little, but I really can't wait to start planning!

I am very excited about digital storytelling and using it in my classroom! I am teaching a lower level physics class next year and the students REALLY struggle with simple algebra, so I am going to make an "in plain english" video on algebra that they can refer back to. Unfortunately this will have to wait until next week because I didn't bring my video camera with this week, bummer! I had it all envisioned on how I would work on it up north too, oh well. I see so many uses for this and I really like how Lee Kolbert used it with her students. I have had my students do end of the year, relate physics to life projects before and this could be a new really fun way to do the project. My mind is seriously in 500 directions right now thinking of all the ways to use digital storytelling. I know people in my department have used it before, but I never really understood what a useful tool it could be. I will definitely be using this both for instructional purposes and student project purposes next year. Perhaps a problem based learning unit where a digital story is the end result.

Also, related to this week's material I was wow-ed by the copyright information. I always get on my students cases about proper citation and not plaigarizing, but never really thought about how in depth copyright laws go. Yikes, I feel like a bit of a hypocrite - I don't think I have done any serious damage, but am very happy to know that I won't in the future. Professor Brunsell, thank you for posting all of that information. Right now as I am still processing all if it, it seems overwhelming, but I am very glad to be informed. I appreciate how in depth the article went in terms of what is copyright infringement and how to avoid it. It is very practical and useful. Presently diigo is not working :-( I was so looking forward to using it with these articles!

Alright, time to check out of our hotel which means I must be done for now. Hopefully my research on where to find internet access up north pays off! Have a great week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. 'Up North' ahhhhh I miss it - I grew up near Lansing and spent many summers in rural Michigan as well. I am also soon to celebrate my 2nd anniversary and am leaving for New Orleans tomorrow for the NEA-RA. Travel, work, travel, work, play?, no work. I get it - Enjoy your time. ;)
    I was thinking about your desire to start working on your algebra video, you could always start making the little paper cut outs and maybe an outline of how you want it all to flow, then video it later. Thanks for sharing your reflection on copyright info too - I am in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary. My husband and I will be celebrating our 12th anniversary in two weeks. I have spend some time in the U.P. of Michigan and went to Michigan Tech.

    I am hoping to use digital storytelling next year to help my lower level chemistry class and regular biology classes. The chemistry class struggles with conversions and solving algebra problems, so I like your idea of using digital storytelling to help with the math. I need to think of what topics that I want to focus on and do one to see how it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE UP! WOW. Good luck! We took our family vacation to a lake side cabin (beautiful) in the upper penninsula last year and I found myself parked infront of a public library to get wifi to do grad work for the MSSE program! My wife thought I was crazy but I was desperate! It was a great vacation. However, I haven't seen a place so stricken by the economic woes of our country as I witnessed in Michigan! Hopefully we progress!
    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya - thanks for the suggestion! I've been planning out the most effective way to explain algebra to my students and tossing a few ideas back and forth. Happy almost anniversary to you and your hubby! I hope you had a good time in New Orleans!

    Joy - Thanks! and happy almost anniversary to you too!

    Brandon - We weren't quite that far north, but it still felt just as rural. My in-laws thought I was a little crazy for sitting at the video rental story for 4 hours to get internet and do hw. :-)

    ReplyDelete