Thursday, July 8, 2010

Data and Arguments - Week 4

Reading through the Generating an Argument Model by Sampson and Grooms really made me reflect on all of the various methods that are out there for teaching. I like the model and how it provides students with authentic data and takes them through the scientific process of peer review and publication. I see this being a very valuable tool for a year long class. I don't think this is an activity that you can do once and leave, but rather something that needs to be done throughout the year at least 3 times (to see progress) and the ideas need to be implemented in the class regularly. The challenge for me with the Generating an Argument Model is that both of the classes that I am teaching this coming school year are only one semester. I know there are ways that I can still use the model, it will just be more of a challenge.

My initial struggle with new methods that I learn about is how to incorporate them into the methods that I already use, enjoy and find effective. Right now I incorporate a good amount of Johnson & Johnson Cooperative Learning as well as Problem Based Learning. What I find with each of the methods that I think are really good for developing 21st century skills within students is that they blend together well and enhance each other. At first when I read the article about Generating and Argument model, I thought "this sounds great, but I only have so much time!!" Now, I can see that this model would be a great lead in to Problem Based Learning and Cooperative Learning would enhance the way that students work together greatly. I'm looking forward to trying this method out this year.

I am also very encouraged by how much data is available for students to use. I found that the US Department of Energy has a bunch of data regarding energy efficiency and renewable energy here. Now I just have to check to make sure that I'm not breaking any copyright laws! So much more to think about now! :-)

Time to try out some tools and work on my Generating an Argument Model. Have a great day everyone!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Generating an Argument is something that would need to be repeated for the best outcome and that we'll have to be creative about incorporating it into what we already use. I'll have to check out the Problem Based Learning model that you're using. Anything to get those critical thinking skills going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! The specific model that I use for Problem Based Learning is from IMSA (the Illinois Math and Science Academy). Here is their website... http://pbln.imsa.edu/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sampson and Grooms model does seem to leave some room for scaffolding, which may help in your shorter term classes. I think that you can tier the data you make available and how much thinking needs to go into each data collection set. The project I'm trying to line up provides kids with one full set of data that they just retrieve, one that they retrieve with minimal manipulation, one set that needs a fair amount of manipulation and the final set is not necessarily required, but would mean creating a secondary hypothesis and independently finding that data. I'm hoping this will work well enough with high schoolers, as I too am finding it hard to incorporate more than a couple of these projects a year but still want the gains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, even in my college classes I think the students need some practice with the elements prior to doing the whole activity. I'll be blogging about my plan.

    A question Stephanie--How did you add the file to your description on the wiki? I uploaded the file, but don't know how to get it in the text box with my description. Ergh! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really excited to hear that you are using PBL and Cooperative learning -- we will need to talk more about how you organize PBL in your courses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry again Kelly! I'm struggling a little with the comments report, sometimes it doesn't tell me the right number of comments that have actually been made! I'm glad to see you got it worked out though.

    Professor Brunsell, the PBL is interesting to incorporate because not everyone on my course teams uses it so right now it's me trying out some things and then reporting back. I've used it quite a bit with an after school Space Exploration Program that we do in our district and then last year did a review PBL and use bits and pieces of the PBL method almost all the time. This year I am looking to do a PBL with renewable energy and either electricity or simple machines. I would love to talk more about it!

    ReplyDelete