Thursday, July 8, 2010

Glogster and simulations

This afternoon I spent quite a bit of time actually using Glogster. I did not follow my own guiding principles last year and let my students use it without me really taking the time to explore all that it had to offer. I must say I am impressed. I made a glog that I can use as the beginning of the school year to introduce my students to physics and what physics is. I plan to embed this on my class website and have students look at it in their own time. A few things that I didn't know before about glogster...
1. You can collect your own video, soundclip or picture as long as you have a microphone or camera! I wasn't daring enough for the video today, but that is how I got the sound clip on the glog. The only issue that I am having with the sound clip part is that it cuts off the end of your speech - I'd recommend letting the clip go for about 5-10second after you are done talking before you stop recording.
2. You can link your text to websites! Under the part that says "Physics can explain..." I was able to link the words to websites the give some explanation on the terms! HOW COOL!!! It even circles the word/phrase when you hold your mouse over it to show that it is linked.
Before I really only thought of Glogster as a tool for my students to use but now I also see it as something fun that I could use to introduce students to new concepts or units.
Here is my glog...


I also love using simulations in my classroom and my students do too! The phet site is wonderful and I've created a couple activities to go along with the simulations...I'm not quite sure how to link them here but if anyone is interested I have activities for the Energy Skate Park, Wave on a String and Electric Field Hockey (I may have to do some digging for the Electric Field Hockey one...). Simulations are such a great way to allow students to experiment in a more controlled environment. Of course we can't let overtake the actual data taking process, but they are very handy. There are so many great physics simulations in the big list - thank you Prof Brunsell!! Another case where diigo comes in very handy.

Ok, time to stop playing and get to work on my Oceanography midterm!

2 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of the phet simulations, especially the energy skate park. THese usually serve as my intro activities to unit as they allow the students to play and adjust variable before really needing to get into the vocabulary. I also really like the greenhouse effect, projectile motion, rutherford scattering, eating and exercise, and salts and solubility. Lots of great simulations with easy manipulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting your info on Glogster, I've played a little and was wondering about video-glad to know it can be done. Also interesting that it can be linked to a website. I was thinking of using it a Lab Safety Poster--but having students build it. Maybe I would start it....hmmm, more to think about!

    ReplyDelete