Friday, July 30, 2010

Guiding Principles Revisited

After going through this entire course, some of my guiding principles have stayed the same and some have needed to be adjusted. My old principles can be found in the black text - and reflections or additions can be found in the blue text. You will find my final guiding principles located at the bottom of the page.
Reflection on old guiding principles...
  1. Do I know how to fully use and explain how to use the technology?
    1. After going through this course I realize that I will never be able to know all of the bells and whistles prior to introducing a tool and my students and I need to be willing to learn from each other about aspects of each webtool
  2. Will the use of this technology benefit my students?
    1. Also, how will this http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=9074015005516543629benefit my students? 
    2. I think benefits should fall into a few categories - enhance course material, increase class participation, learn a topic in a way that couldn't have been done before, webtools that students can use in the future, etc
  3. Is this technology something that my students could use outside of my classroom (is it relevant)?
    1. I think this falls under the category of benefits - students should be exposed to tools that can benefit them outside of just my classroom
  4. What is the purpose of using this technology? (Taken from Utecht’s “Evaluating Technology Use in the Classroom”)
    1. Am I dabbling?
    2. Does this do old things in old ways?
    3. Does this do old things in new ways?
    4. Does this do new things in new ways?
  5. How will the use of this technology improve my students’ ability to learn the material and develop core life skills?
    1. If a webtool can't do either of these things it probably isn't worth implementing
  6. Have I gotten feedback from colleagues on how I plan to use this technology?
  7. Will my students learn the material better or in new ways by using this tool?
    Improved Guiding Principles - Before using a webtool I will..
    1. Consider the use for the webtool...(Utecht's purposes)
    2. Know how to use the necessary components of the webtool and be able to troubleshoot
    3. Be willing to learn from students
    4. Evaluate the benefits of using the webtool
    5. Process how the webtool will enhance students' skills and learning
    6. Gather feedback prior to use from colleagues and reflect after use
    7. Ensure that the webtools will be used safely
    Even though my "improved" principles are very similar to my old principles I think these are more realistic and concise. I plan to display these principles on my desk and really use them throughout the school year to influence what I do. My reflections throughout this course and what I have learned will make my classroom much more interactive and collaborative. I have always been conscious of how differently students learn, but with all the different tools that I have now, I am hoping to open up many more avenues to help students learn to the very best of their ability, regardless of learning style. I am really looking forward to seeing how all of this plays out in my actual classroom.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment