Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Final Project!!

My final project consists of two websites, one for each of the two different classes that I will be teaching this year. My goal in creating the websites was to make a one-stop shop (so to speak) for my students to check in with where they could not only find information about the course, but also participate in discussions. The Physics 1 website is far more developed than the EMP (Experimental Methods in Physics) website because I have never taught EMP before and am meeting to plan the course next week...so it will be more developed after next week. The websites include/will include...wallwishers for basic course questions and each unit, class calendars, technology how-to videos, simulation links, documents passed out during the course and the class blog.

The Physics 1 website can be found here and the EMP website can be found here. If you go to the Physics 1 website, watch the video on how to use the website under the "Technology How-to Videos" page. This will give you a tour of the website. I had some trouble embedding the video and would appreciate feedback on if you think the way it works is user-friendly enough. Otherwise I may add a page on how-to videos to my blog.

Things that I still need to/want to do with the website...
- add a "how-to" video on blogging and diigo for now (glogster and prezi will come later)
- make and add an "In Plain English" video on algebra
- add all documents that I created for each unit so that students can have easy access
- finish the EMP website

My goal with these websites is to allow increased communication between students and each other as well as students and myself; increase student confidence and participation; and to serve as a hub for information for students. I would appreciate any and all feedback that you have (good and bad) about how easy you think it is to use the website and how helpful you would find it as a student. Any suggestions for additions to the site or blog would also be appreciated.

Thanks for checking it out! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work! I really like how well-thought-out your Physics site is and you did a great job with the tutorial video. The organization of everything makes it super intuitive to use. I might have to steal the idea of doing a Wallwisher on each unit's page, a it will provide a lot of great discussion. I hope these work well for you and that your students enjoy them and use them to their fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above comment on using wallwisher- great idea!!! I also really like the wordles that you created for each unit. Very clever!

    I also really like the set up of your blog. I think it's a great idea to incorporate a parents page with google calender. How do you plan on introducing this blog to them?

    Also, in terms of video embedding, it might help to make the dimensions of the video a bit smaller so it can all fit on the screen at once, instead of having to scroll down. You can do this by looking at your blog post in html view and changing the code a bit (sounds intimidating, but really easy!) The dimensions are in parentheses at the beginning of the code; change them as you want, just keep height and width ratio the same.
    Hope that helps!
    Great work! Thanks for sharing; good luck in the school year ahead.

    ReplyDelete